Finding your own unique path to recovery can sometimes feel like a lonely journey, even if you’re spending time with loved ones and sharing your experiences at group meetings. You might sometimes feel fulfilled by newfound healthy hobbies – like jogging or painting – but there may be other times where you catch yourself feeling stressed about overcoming your addiction.
It’s important to recognize that you are not the first or last person to deal with the disease of addiction. Sobriety takes so much more than discontinuing your use of drugs or alcohol; it also requires you to learn how to cope with your personal stressors, anxieties, and insecurities, all of which may have triggered you to use during your active addiction.
Hearing from others who have walked a similar journey to your own can be one way to feel less anxious about the obstacles you have to overcome. Here are ten quotes about addiction that can provide inspiration, focus, and a renewed drive to move forward.
- “My recovery from drug addiction is the single greatest accomplishment of my life … but it takes work — hard, painful work — but the help is there, in every town and career, drug/drink freed members of society, from every single walk and talk of life to help and guide.” – Jamie Lee Curtis
- “Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.” – Deepak Chopra
- “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
- “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you aren’t going to stay where you are.” – Unknown
- “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” – Margaret Thatcher
- “It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.” — Confucius
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
- “Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking of what we want to become. Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking about who we don’t ever want to be again.” – Shane Niemeyer
- “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson